Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Banshees controlled

Ok. So the menace that is my fourth block class has been controlled. Mr. H and I talked the business over. We decided another "talkin' to" was in order. I left early to go "make copies" so the chat could go down with me not there. When I got back, they kids seemed like whipped puppies. One even attempted a fake apology to me. How nice huh? Well, I don't know exactly what did it, but it worked. The last two days the kids have been halfway decent. We even got into a discussion today debating fate and chance in the film All Quiet on the Western Front. That definitely would not have happened last week. 

In other news, there was a pep-rally, or "assembly". It was something else and immediately made me remember the strange, embarrassed feeling I used to get in high school when we had pep rallies. I'm glad to see that nothing has changed. This one lasted quite a while, as the school has a lot of different sports, and are evidently pretty good. Unfortunately, the cheerleading squad is very weak, as well as the dance team. Maybe my judgement has changed, but these girls need a lot of work. That stuff is so hard to watch. They also played an interesting game of fun-noodle hockey, where fun-noodles are used to hit a beach ball through a goal. Sounds like fun right? I was thinking it would be more interesting if they used the noodle as a distractor and kind of badger the opponent. Mr. W. told me that they censor the events pretty heavily for violence, which that, evidently, was. I thought this was ridiculous. Then I thought it was more ridiculous as I was forced to watch underage girls, in burlesque-style makeup, with short spandex shorts and fishnet stocking dance provocatively to bad rap/dance mixes. Fun noodle fight vs. underage burlesque show. You decide.

Currently Listening-Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie

No comments: