Monday, September 15, 2008

Week Four

I had my first fun assignment for the kids today. After some discussion on propaganda, and also throughout the unit, I had the kids get down and dirty and create their own propaganda poster. Quite honestly it was a fun time. Some of them came up with some pretty decent slogans, even if they weren't executed as well as they could have been. After all, I only gave them an hour. But it was really nice to be able to step back in the room and see the kids actually working on something...together. I haven't graded them yet. I had them also write how their posters were historically and artistically significant. Let's hope they say something clever. 

I have my first observed lesson this week too. The material I am covering is the Treaty of Versailles and Wilson's 14 points. Not exactly awesome school material where I can be my "best". Oh yeah, this is interesting. My soup tells me to be ready because he wants to see me at "my best". Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but really, its a bad idea. Why would someone try to judge me one time at my very best? Does a sport team go out and spend a million dollars on some one who has one awesome game? Not usually. This creates a false impression. My best can be fabricated. I can buy off my students with something to make them stay quiet, to ask questions, blah blah. If anything, I should be seen at my worse. That seems to be more real. I'm wondering, why say anything like that? Just say I'm going to be here then. Deal with it. 

Friday I have another meeting thingy at the University. I'm not sure what I'll be doing there. "Student Forum" doesn't mean much to me. It can mean a lot of things. After that I'll be taking my university exit exams. It will be an exciting week. 

Currently Listening-I Am the Movie by Motion City Soundtrack

No comments: