Friday, September 19, 2008

Week 4: complete


Indeed, week four is complete. It was a pretty good week I suppose, at least it had pretty low stress. I saw my first faculty meeting, soup observation, open house, and then my first exit exam for the university. The faculty meeting was conveniently placed the day before my observation. They are pretty boring and could honestly be reduced to an email or two, but what the state wants, the state gets. It was an OK and all. I got to find out about the faculty meetings that take place every so often at night that involve the sharing of methods. The asst. principal sprinkled some nice rhetoric in: "If you have a good idea, its your obligation to share it with people." I almost stood up and screamed "Communist Pig!", but I figured that wouldn't go too well. I really don't care for that rhetoric. Yeah good ideas need to be spread, but an obligation? Nah, I don't care for that. I think the obligation lies with those who are looking for good ideas. 

My observation went alright. I got picked on for some things that are due to inexperience, like lack of "specific instruction", rough transitions, etc. Its cool, I can change it. I also got picked on for not having the standards on my lesson plan exactly right. Don't even get me started on the standards. I'll have to explain more when I am not so tired. Basically we have to show that we are meeting state standards, which is honestly a pretty good thing, but we have to follow guidelines to create a cover sheet for everything that we do that shows we have met the standards. So if I write a lesson plan, then I have to write a cover sheet that explains how I met the standards. Its a lot of dumb work. I don't like it one bit... 

Open House was OK. I got to meet some parents and things, give a little speech, that sort of thing. I did meet my first "pushy mom". She had a thick southern accent, most likely from Texas, boobs up to her chin, and very little understanding. It was pretty awesome listening to her ask me questions on how her daughter can do better, then interrupt me while I was giving suggestions. I think that I will get tired of that very quickly. This lady seriously made my brain hurt. If we ever meet again, things will go differently. I'll have to treat her just like a little kid and ask her to kindly let me talk. Quite honestly some of the parents looked terrible. Not like hold you up and steal your beer terrible, but more like get drunk and yell at my son because he didn't make the football team terrible. Quick judgement you say? Yep. Some faces don't lie though. 

Exit exams...forget about it. They are not graded so I did not give it "my best". There were only 36 questions...how in the world do you track 130 hours of college with 36 questions?? They were mainly reading comprehension about scientific situations and then math questions. I hate those.

I'm sleepy and need a nap. Oh yeah! I almost forgot, I've been turned on to a fantastic graphic novel that depicts the trials of the Holocaust by my awesome art-inclined lady. Its called Maus by Art Spiegelman. Evidently it won a Pulitzer. It deserves it though, its absolutely awesome. 

Currently Listening-Even if it Kills Me by Motion City Soundtrack
Currently Reading-Maus II: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman

No comments: