Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ohhhh man-help me Jeebus!

I don't even know where to start. Chronologically is always best I suppose. Actually, I can't even remember the last thing I blogged about. Hang on. Ok Tuesday. Its Thursday now. Lets see-

Wednesday I got a break from the kids while the counselors borrowed them for their block and told them about databases or something. I'm not sure what really, I just graded essays the whole time. I was a little disappointed because some kids misunderstood some of the language that was used in the film. Some were pretty good though. The highlight of the day came during fourth block. The counselors got a hold of my hellion class and didn't know what to do. Mr. H. had a blast walking back and forth across the library listening to counselors vainly reason, "You are an honors class", "Be quiet!", "I can't hear!", and so on and so forth. You should have seen his smile. It was a knowing smile: now they know. Maybe now we can lose some of those kids. Honestly, its now or later, because they will fail out.

Thursday. I'm sick. All day I battled not only the cold-sickness business, but an amazing stomach problem. Go me. I probably shouldn't eat half a pizza, then chase it with Theraflu, Mucinex, Cough Drops, and Tums. Im a panicy sick though. If I'm not immediately better, I want to try something else. I had my lesson plan ready to go but it soon became derailed. Mr. H. got an email warning that Student Council speeches were Friday during first block. This means that I'd have to shave off 30 minutes somewhere. No prob. Once the kids got into the room they informed us different. Turns out they were today. The email was wrong. Good job school. So now I had to worry about what I would cut right now. Just after we finished attendance and a little reminiscing over the 11th, the fire alarm went off. "Damn it!" I barely kept it under my breath. Outside we go. We were out there for a good 20 minutes, during which I entertained a discussion where a girl was trying to decide about living in the dorms in college. I think I might have persuaded her to do it. Seriously. I had some really good times and wouldn't trade them for the world. Anyway, once we got inside it was StuCo time. I had about 20 minutes left in the class when they got back. We ended up talking about politics, then the Iraq war. I'm not good at avoiding taboo topics. I think I'm better for it. 

The problem for me now is with 1st block a day behind I have to keep 4th block in line. So we just killed some time with them with discussion, review, and a poor video. I barely got through with my sanity. Its a long story, but I have to keep the classes together so I have an easier time with my soup. 

I also learned one of the funniest things I've ever heard today. One of the teachers is a bit of an introvert. That's cool and all, but he has some weird quirks. His name is D. It used to be C. Why did he change it? No joke, he became obsessed with a certain 90s teen drama show on Fox and changed his name after one of the characters. Its not as funny without the particulars, but I need to keep this somewhat anonymous. But think about that. Who the hell does that?? I'm still laughing about it. I wish Seinfeld was still on, they would totally do a show about that.

Last but not least, let's talk about computer problems. In the middle of my lesson planning today I got the spinning beach ball (I use mac). My comp. froze like crazy and I shut 'er down. When I turned it back on I got nothing but gray screen. I didn't know what to do. My good friend B. came over and patiently got through some diagnostics with me. The problem? 80% sure its a hard drive crash. So I had to plop a not so bad $70 for a new one. Unfortunately, he couldn't retrieve any information off of it. That means I have to take it to a professional professional. That will probably cost me $100 I'm guessing, maybe more, I dunno. I probably can't pay them in fried rice and nice beer like I can B. If that doesn't work...I lose all my information on my computer, which I am currently without. All my lesson plans, my supplementary information, my music, my pictures, everything. I guess I should do back ups more often huh. FORTUNATELY for me, I printed off 90% of my lesson plans for my soup's meeting. Otherwise...forgeddaboutit. Right now I'm running my comp. off of my external hard drive with B.'s help. Its an amazing rig. It is exactly like an old man on an oxygen tank. It has to go everywhere. So whenever I take my comp to school I'll have to take my bulky HD and plug it in as well as my comp. 2x the chords 2x the space. Thank someone its Friday tomorrow. 

Currently listening-The Escape Frame by The Escape Frame-trying to get cheered up.  The lady is making banana chocolate chip muffins. That might make me happy...

No comments: