Friday, September 26, 2008

Week Five

How about that? Another week down. This week went by unbelievably fast. I guess that's a good thing right? And its the weekend right?? Well kinda. I have an 11 hour day at work tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to waking up at the same time I get up for school to go in early just to go to a meeting where ABSOLUTELY nothing gets accomplished except people complaining about policies that haven't changed in 5 years. Quite honestly its not worth my hourly wage while I'm there. I digress...

This week went pretty well actually. I was crazy busy, hence the no updates since last Friday. The major development in my week was that I took over the Liberty and Law class for a unit on the Legislative Branch. If you haven't read yet, Lib and Law is my DEFINITE weak point. I haven't had a class involving that in four years. Yeah I know that's a long time, you don't have to tell me. I have basically had to fake like I know what I'm doing for the last three days. I've been spending a couple hours each night trying to miraculously understand the material in the text book (my apartment living room looks like I'm in the middle of a research assignment). Maybe 30% of the time, I've been comfortable talking in front of the kids about the material. Luckily most of them know the drill and they do well by me. Again, even with this class of juniors they are more interested in where I get my suits, or if I look like "this" all the time. Its strange really. 

My honors history classes have gone alright as well. We spent a day in the library, letting them have a preview of some online research tactics (which I'm awful at). It was weird working with the librarians. They were nice enough, but Jesus how they wasted time! They would think that it grew on the bloody trees! Basically while they spent an 15 extra minutes showing the kids the reference section they will NEVER USE, the kids started worrying about completing the assignment I gave them. Then while the librarians explained how to use the databases they would use, the kids didn't pay attention because they were trying to research their topic to make up lost time. They panicked and then asked me questions NON-STOP.  It was unreal and it made my head hurt. Seriously. They should serve beer in the teacher's lounges...

I also finished up the week with our chapter test. It's unbelievable how poorly the honors students are doing considering I now hold TWO review sessions where I go over the test word for word. They still complain that they didn't have enough time to study. I mean a lot of the kids did just fine, but some...good lord. Its like they just completely guessed. It was pretty neat though: a lot of the kids did really well on the fear of Communism in America essay question I gave them. Even though I gave the answers right before the test, its still a fairly tough idea to get straight. Go them. 

I'm starting to actually feel like a teacher though. Its been an interesting development. My class of miscreant hellions are starting to settle down a little bit and understand what its like to be real students. They still have their moments though. They ask questions like you wouldn't believe. I stand up in front of the class and give directions and two minutes later I have 10 kids ask me the same questions. Their listening abilities are next to nothing. Each time they ask me a question I just want to slap them silly, but instead I smile kindly, pat them on the head, grit my teeth and tell them what they want to know. I guess my instruction techniques still need some work. Once again, thanks to the university for not covering this point AT ALL during my time there. 

OK. I've got the perfect example for how things are going in the student teaching world. Its 9:06 on a Friday night. I'm a 23 year old male who doesn't mind socializing and I only have one thing to plan for Monday. Granted, I have been out a little bit already for some dinner. Afterwards I ran into my CT and hung out. But still, right now, the only thing I can really think about is going to bed. Night night. 

Currently Listening-Wide Eyed by the Junior Varsity

No comments: